Special Needs Coaching
Children and adults who suffer from a variety of disorders often find the world confusing, overwhelming and extremely stressful. Coaching can help both those suffering from a disorder and their families.
I work with children and adults who have various difficulties, including:
- Asperger’s syndrome: difficulties with social communication, and inflexible thinking
- ADHD and ADD: difficulties with focus and attention, and time management
- Cognitive disabilities due to developmental delays or trauma to the brain.
How does coaching help children with special needs?
Coaching children with special needs can help them in many ways. For example, it can help them:
- To be organised and to manage their time properly
- To communicate their needs effectively
- To choose the appropriate school subjects, or courses of study
- To help with planning for their future career or job prospects
When coaching children with special needs, I work closely not only with the family but also the child’s school. It’s important that the child is supported properly at school and at home.
How does coaching help adults with special needs?
I focus primarily on helping adults with special needs to live as independently and productively as possible.
This may involve coaching in the following areas:
- Finding and holding down a job appropriate to your needs
- Getting along with work colleagues
- Meeting deadlines
- Focusing and attending to projects
- Managing time in the workplace
- Applying for promotions
- Moving out of home to live independently or to assisted living